If you’re about to install an SSL on your website, please ensure to follow our SEO checklist below to preserve your rankings.
- Make sure every element of your website uses HTTPS, including widgets, java script, CSS files, images and your content delivery network.
- Use 301 redirects to point all HTTP URLs to HTTPS. This is a no-brainer to most SEOs, but you’d be surprised how often a 302 (temporary) redirect finds its way to the homepage by accident
- Make sure all canonical tags point to the HTTPS version of the URL.
- Use relative URLs whenever possible.
- Rewrite hard-coded internal links (as many as is possible) to point to HTTPS. This is superior to pointing to the HTTP version and relying on 301 redirects.
- Register the HTTPS version in both Google and Bing Webmaster Tools.
- Use the Fetch and Render function in Webmaster Tools to ensure Google can properly crawl and render your site.
- Update your sitemaps to reflect the new URLs. Submit the new sitemaps to Webmaster Tools. Leave your old (HTTP) sitemaps in place for 30 days so search engines can crawl and “process” your 301 redirects.
- Update your robots.txt file. Add your new sitemaps to the file. Make sure your robots.txt doesn’t block any important pages.
- If necessary, update your analytics tracking code. Most modern Google Analytics tracking snippets already handle HTTPS, but older code may need a second look.
- Implement HTTP Strict Transport Security (HSTS). This response header tells user agents to only access HTTPS pages even when directed to an HTTP page. This eliminates redirects, speeds up response time, and provides extra security.
- If you have a disavow file, be sure to transfer over any disavowed URLs into a duplicate file in your new Webmaster Tools profile.
Original content from: https://moz.com/blog/seo-tips-https-ssl
Softdata Internet Limited have proudly hosted Richard Graham’s website for a number of years and have always supported him in the past as much as possible.
We are honoured to be working with Richard Graham MP again with the design of his new website.
Softdata is keen to help the local community as much as possible and we will be donating our time and expertise for free and will be assisting Richard and his team with his new website, digital strategy and more importantly, online security.
As a happy, positive team of web specialists, we have decided to start a new website donation scheme. We really want to make a difference to the people of Gloucestershire, especially those that need it most. We will be aiming to donate up to 10 websites each year to local charities, whose online presence may require a modern re-design to help improve its success in the county.
We have already worked with a number of local charities, but if you know of any other local, Gloucestershire based charities, who you feel are struggling to raise funds for a new website or their current site may need a refresh, please submit your charity suggestions in the form below.
CloudFlare, a web performance and security company, is excited to announce our partnership with SoftData Internet! If you haven’t heard about CloudFlare before, our value proposition is simple: we’ll make any website twice as fast and protect it from a broad range of web threats.
Today, hundreds of thousands of websites—ranging from individual blogs to e-commerce sites to the websites of Fortune 500 companies to national governments—use CloudFlare to make their sites faster and more secure. We power more than 65 billion monthly page views—more than Amazon, Wikipedia, Twitter, Zynga, AOL, Apple, Bing, eBay, PayPal and Instagram combined—and over 25% of the Internet’s population regularly passes through our network.
Faster web performance
CloudFlare is designed to take a great hosting platform like [Your Company Name] and make it even better.
We run 86 data centers strategically located around the world. When you sign up for CloudFlare, we begin routing your traffic to the nearest data center.
As your traffic passes through the data centers, we intelligently determine what parts of your website are static versus dynamic. The static portions are cached on our servers for a short period of time, typically less than 2 hours before we check to see if they’ve been updated. By automatically moving the static parts of your site closer to your visitors, the overall performance of your site improves significantly.
CloudFlare’s intelligent caching system also means you save bandwidth, which means saving money, and decreases the load on your servers, which means your web application will run faster and more efficiently than ever. On average, CloudFlare customers see a 60% decrease in bandwidth usage, and a 65% in total requests to their servers. The overall effect is that CloudFlare will typically cut the load time for pages on your site by 50% which means higher engagement and happier visitors.
Broad web security
Over the course of 2011, CloudFlare identified a 700% increase in the number of distributed denial of service attacks (DDoS) we track on the Internet (see the chart below). As attacks like these increase, CloudFlare is stepping up to protect sites.
CloudFlare’s security protections offer a broad range of protections against attacks such as DDoS, hacking or spam submitted to a blog or comment form. What is powerful about our approach is that the system gets smarter the more sites that are part of the CloudFlare community. We analyze the traffic patterns of hundreds of millions of visitors in real time and adapt the security systems to ensure good traffic gets through and bad traffic is stopped.
In time, our goal is nothing short of making attacks against websites a relic of history. And, given our scale and the billions of different attacks we see and adapt to every year, we’re well on our way to achieving that for sites on the CloudFlare network.
We have some exciting news! Over the next few weeks, SoftData will be offering several new, in-house, digital services to ensure our customers can use a trusted supplier for their online requirements.
A local Gloucestershire Digital Specialist has joined the SoftData team and will be providing his expertise to our customers and local businesses within the Gloucestershire area. This will be via several non-for-profit organisations.
We are very excited to welcome ‘Luke Allsebrook BSc MSc’ to you all. He already has strong links within the Gloucestershire business community, as well as vast experience running a non-for-profit networking organisation in Cheltenham. He loves to help local businesses and he will be running a series of FREE business seminars in the near future, in association with SoftData and the Four Gates of Gloucester. No sneaky ‘contracts’, or hidden charges, just a well-known specialist on board to help us all out!We have some exciting news! Over the next few weeks, SoftData will be offering several new, in-house, digital services to ensure our customers can use a trusted supplier for their online requirements.
To register your interest or to find out more, please contact Luke directly on:
We will be launching several new blog articles soon to help you get more sales from your website, some of the first articles will cover:
• How to make sure your site is mobile friendly
• How to submit your site to Google, Yahoo and Bing
• How to optimise your site to get more traffic from Google
• How to target the most valuable keywords for your business
• How to make your site rank better in free Google listings
• How to rank high and avoid Google penalties in 2015
If you have any queries or would like us to provide an article on a particular subject, please let us know and we will put our new Digital Specialist into action!
Softdata Internet is constantly striving to provide the very best in web hosting, and we have brand new servers live. We have already migrated most of our customers to the new hardware and will finish the job this weekend.
We don’t anticipate any down time during this operation
Web Hosting Deals for July
Every new hosting order will be entered in our free contest to win a Kindle Fire. This is a fantastic device and we are entering all new customers that order web hosting with us in the month of July so don’t delay, place your order now
Get a FREE .uk domain with your order
The .uk domain is one year old and to celebrate we’re offering it to you FREE with every standard hosting pack!
Not only that but we will throw in bronze hosting for the new domain for you Free for a year
With a .uk domain you:
- You’ll be giving your business the best UK identity
- You can take advantage of one of the most important domain opportunities ever
- Tell customers you’re in the UK
- Target everyone who wants to buy British
- Enhance and protect your brand name
- Get a short email address that people will remember
Have you got yours yet?
Softdata Internet Ltd always make sure our customers get the very best value. Our new servers are now live and all our existing customers will be migrated to our new platforms. The migration will be transparent to our users.
The new servers have more memory, more disk space and they support all the latest security enhancements.
Why is WordPress so popular?
This is a question that comes up regularly and 80% of our new web hosting orders include a request to have it installed. WordPress was written as blogging software but has improved steadily over the years until now it is really a Content Management System ( CMS )
Most web hosts now allow a 1 click install of the software ( including us ) and it is very simple to get up and running. So here are some of the reasons:
WordPress is Free
The WordPress Software is written in a PHP free script and licensed from GNU
WordPress is Feature Rich
People have different requirements and everyone wishes to publish a website with a unique identity. There are several thousand apps available within the WordPress Plugin library to give your website extra functionality. You will find everything from calendars to shopping carts there, and most are free.
The look and feel of a WordPress site is managed by the theme. Again there are thousands of free themes available and commercial themes are not expensive. Changing the way your site looks is now a snip
WordPress Work’s with every device
Whether you have a Windows PC or Linux or MacBook; WordPress is available for every operating system.
So why not let us register a domain for you with WordPress installed ready for you for less than £1.00 a week.
The .uk domain is one year old and to celebrate we’re offering it to you FREE with every standard hosting pack! Not only that but we will throw in bronze hosting for the new domain for you Free for a year
With a .uk domain you:
You’ll be giving your business the best UK identity
•You can take advantage of one of the most important domain opportunities ever
•Tell customers you’re in the UK
•Target everyone who wants to buy British
•Enhance and protect your brand name
•Get a short email address that people will remember
Have you got yours yet?